Lavender Pepper Recipe

Dried Lavender Blossoms
Lavender pepper is one of those designer spice blend that's gained prominence in the last couple of years. It actually makes a very nice seasoning for beef, chicken and especially seafood. I particularly like it on shrimp. Lavender actually works surprisingly well with pepper. It offers a flowery note that stands up to the peppery bite without tasting bitter.

You should really give this one a try. It's a keeper.

Lavender Pepper Recipe 

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons black peppercorns 
  • 1 teaspoon white peppercorns 
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt (the minerals in the salt do add flavor) 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried, culinary grade lavender flowers (or use1 teaspoon fresh lavender flowers) 
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seed 
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (1-1/2 teaspoons fresh) 

Black and White Peppercorns
Directions

Whip up small batches using a coffee grinder (or spice grinder) and store them in an air tight container. Just be sure to use culinary grade lavender flowers -- or flowers from your garden that are pesticide free.

Special note: Although some lavender pepper recipes include pink peppercorns (about a tablespoon), the only thing they seem to add is color. I do like to include a small allspice berry, though. Consider mixing up the basic recipe, trying it, and then throwing an allspice berry to see how you like it. Oh, and let me know what you think. The allspice is particularly nice with beef.



---------------------
Photo Dried_PeppercornsWikiCommons.jpg: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3ADried_Peppercorns.jpg By en:User:Bunchofgrapes (en:Image:Dried Peppercorns.jpg) [GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons 

Photo Lavender Blossoms: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3ALavander.jpg By Jebulon (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons 

Photo Sea Salt: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3AFleur_de_sel1.jpg By Christian Mertes (Mudd1 12:26, 18 April 2007 (UTC)) (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gn

Comments

  1. That sounds really delicious! I'll have to give it a try. You can just substitute this in for regular pepper in a recipe then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. If you're watching your salt, cut back on the salt in the recipe, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:36:00 AM

    I've never cooked with lavender, it always sounds weird! But I think I might give this a shot. The other spices are familiar in my cupboards and I do have some lavender I dried from my yard. Thanks for the tip! Any thoughts if I don't have a coffee grinder? I don't even have mortar and pestle. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grinding the mixture in your pepper mill might work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I'm always looking for new ways to enjoy my beloved herbs 8^) This sounds easier than cooking lavender into a dish and not liking it. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share some ideas.