So, Is There Anything To Put out for the Reindeer?

Reindeer Food I've read that reindeer eat alfalfa and love raisins. This is my way of introducing dried fruit into our talk. Dried fruit has lost some of its appeal in recent generations, which I think is a tragedy. I'm the only person I know that still likes fruitcake.

Tasty Dried Fruits you Wouldn't Have Expected

Dried fruit has struggled into the 21st century, however, and I thought that I'd mention some dried fruits that I've tried that might make a good addition to your snack list - maybe even take the place of some unhealthy processed snacks. Have you tried dried cherries or blueberries? Dried blueberries are good memory enhancers, and dried cherries are just plain delicious.

So Where Do you Find Dried Fruit

Dried fruit can usually be found in the produce department of your grocery store - I haven't quite figured out the logic of that. They are naturally sweet, often have no added sugar, and they are packed with nutrients. Lower on my list of favorites, but still good, are dried cranberries (a little tart). I also enjoy banana chips, papaya, and pineapple, but these do have sugar added.

Oh, and I do like raisins, although they don't seem to be very popular these days. I really don't understand why. They're sweet and natural, easy to transport, and don't need refrigeration. What's not to like?

Dry Your Own Fruit

Why not start the kids on fruit roll ups and then move up to dried fruit. You might even consider stopping at a local orchard to buy your own fruit to dry. It's easy to make roll ups in your dehydrator. It's even easier to dry small fruits. Make eating better snacks one of your New Year's resolutions . . . eating more dried fruits would be a good place to start.