Homemade Herbed Cheese

Herbed CheeseIf you want to offer your family or guests a soft cheese that's full of flavor and low in calories, try making cheese from yogurt. Once you've drained off the excess moisture, no one will know that you're serving yogurt cheese, and with a few added herbs, it will taste great. Served with a tray crudités (fresh raw vegetables), it'll be a big hit.

Herbed Yogurt Cheese Recipe

2 cups plain yogurt
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. minced chives
1 tsp. cilantro
1 tsp.parsley
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. olive oil (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2  tsp. pepper

Place yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined sieve and suspend over a mixing bowl. Allow the yogurt to drain for two hours or more in the fridge. Squeeze out any excess moisture. Combine yogurt and other ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. Overnight would be even better.

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:45:00 PM

    Make yogurt cheese all the time -- great on bagels, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying all of these tasty looking recipes that I am finding on gardening websites right now. Your cheese looks awesome. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel,

    Thanks for visiting. This cheese is one of my favorite holiday indulgences. I especially like it on potato crackers.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thanks for reminding me to pick some up before the holiday. I love bagels!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it really is. It's especially good when served with potato crackers.

    Thanks for visiting.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:30:00 PM

    I just made my first ever herbed cheese last evening, and it was SO good and easy, that we immediately started searching for other recipes! And now we've found yours! Yum! I can't wait to make yours and more today for everyone to munch on during the Super Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful of you to visit. Thanks. Enjoy the game!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice site you have here! I loved having herbs in my kitchen this year as it was my first. I need to expand a bit and will read thru your suggestions and posts. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love making yogurt cheese, and it works really well in coffee filters as well. i use the melitta cones and just place them over a clear glass so i can monitor how much liquid has drained out. you can turn the filter out into a bowl and just peel it off the cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share some ideas.