- Bend from the knees, and don't pick up objects heavier than you can handle.
- Take a moment to put on your garden gloves. They protect more than your fingernails. Gloves can also protect you from cuts and bug bites.
- Drink plenty of water in hot weather.
- If you are going to be working in the sun, wear a hat.
- If you wear sunglasses when you work, make sure that they have UV protection.
- Wear sunscreen.
- Take plenty of breaks. It's good for your back and your frame of mind.
- Protect your knees with a cushion; your body will thank you later.
- Wear sturdy shoes.
- Don't overdo. The garden will be there tomorrow.
Ten Gardening Safety Tips
Spring herb gardening is in full swing, so I thought I'd throw up a few reminders for all of us: