|Chive Vinegar Ready to Strain (Yes, that color is realistic.)|
Pickled Cucumbers with Chive Vinegar
- 2 cucumbers, scored and sliced thin (burpless are best but almost any type of cucumber will due.)
- 1 large tomato, sliced or diced (optional)
- 1/3 cup chive vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped parsley or dill
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper (You can substitute black pepper.)
- 1 tsp. minced, fresh chives (garnish)
- In a small bowl or jar with a tight fitting lid, combine all ingredients except cucumbers and tomato.
- Shake vigorously.
- Place cucumber slices in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour dressing over cucumbers.
- Cover and refrigerate three hours before serving.
- An hour before serving, add tomato and stir
- Top with minced chives for garnish.
Sweet and Sour Sauce with Chive Vinegar
- 1 can pineapple chunks (15 oz) with juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1/3 cup chive vinegar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Combine pineapple juice and all other ingredients (except the pineapple) in a small saucepan.
- Stir or whisk until the cornstarch is incorporated.
- Heat to a simmer, stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken.
- Add half of the pineapple chunks and continue heating until they're warmed through (about 4 minutes).
- Serve over cooked chicken or pork.
- You can also add lightly sauteed vegetables like bell pepper, sweet onion, carrots and snow peas.
Teriyaki Marinade with Chive Vinegar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chive vinegar
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- Combine all ingredients and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add meat (or vegetables) and stir to distribute the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour (for fish and shellfish) and overnight for dense meats like pork and beef. Stir occasionally.
Italian Salad Dressing with Chive Vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- Sprig fresh oregano
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp. chive vinegar
- 1 tsp. white, granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Add garlic, oregano and basil to a small bowl and bruise with a wooden spoon.
- Add all other ingredients except cheese and stir. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Strain to remove garlic, oregano and basil.
- Whisk in Parmesan cheese and serve.
- You can double or triple the recipe and retain any leftover dressing in your fridge for up to two weeks.
By Dasha (Flickr.com - image description page) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Tomato_cucumber_salad.jpg http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3ATomato_cucumber_salad.jpg