Commercial Herb Blends

Herb Bottle Once you've made a few of your own herb blends, it's easy to get spoiled. The strong flavors of freshly dried herbs are great in cooking, and would be reason enough to take up the hobby of herb growing, even without the other advantages.

Herb Blends are a Kitchen Staple

I wanted to take a moment to mention some of the blends that I do like and use. Over the years, my husband and I have purchased many packaged herbs. Before we had a garden, we had a whole cabinet dedicated to herbs for cooking. I have to admit that most of them were disappointing and expensive, but a few have stayed on our shelves over the years (replenished of course). I have always been a fan of Lawry's seasoning salt. There are lower price imitations, but I still think that Lawry's has it right, with just a hint of sweetness.

1Step Herb Blends

In recent years I've also taken a liking to the McCormick 1Step spice blends. They are available in a number of varieties: Sloppy Joe, stir fry, etc., and they have good flavor; coupled with the convenience, I think they're winners. My only problem with them is the high sodium, but that's usually the case with blends, sodium as filler, I suppose.